Mobile Deposit allows you to easily and securely deposit checks into your Credit Union accounts. Simply follow the directions in the MobileCU App. They will walk you through this fast and easy process.
Mobile Deposit Benefits:
- Deposit up to $5,000 total in any one day
- The first $250 of the total day’s deposits are available immediately*
- The remaining deposit is generally available within two business days
- Receive a confirmation email verifying the deposit
- Save yourself a trip to the Credit Union
- Fast and Easy process with step-by-step instructions
*Longer holds may apply.
Mobile Deposit FAQ
Mobile Deposit – Frequently Asked Questions
What are the mobile device requirements?
All iOS devices with operating systems newer than 4.3 and a camera including:
- iPods and iPhones
- iPads from generation 3 and above
- Any Android device with a camera
Is there a fee for making a mobile deposit?
No, the credit union does not assess a fee for the MobileCU service.
Is electronically depositing checks safe and secure?
Yes, the online transmission of checks via Olean Area FCU’s Mobile Deposit is secured through a secure SSL encrypted browser session.
How am I notified that my deposit has been made?
You will receive a confirmation email, with a reference number for your deposit.
Are there deposit limits?
Yes, you are limited to deposit $5,000 per day.
When is the cutoff for making a deposit and getting it into my account?
Mobile Deposits made before midnight:
- The first $250 of the total day’s deposits will be available the same day. The remainder is generally available in two business days. Longer holds may apply based on the funds availability schedule.
How are deposits made on the weekend handled?
Deposits made on Saturday or throughout the weekend are processed on the next business day following that weekend.
Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays are not considered business days for processing purposes.
What do I do with the checks once I have deposited them electronically?
You should mark them as being electronically deposited (to prevent mistakenly re-depositing the checks) and store them securely for 14 days. After that, but no later than 30 days, the checks should be shredded and disposed of properly to prevent identity theft or misuse.
Can I deposit foreign checks (for example, from Canada and Mexico) via Mobile Deposit?
No, only domestic U.S. originated checks in U.S. dollars are accepted via Mobile Deposit.
Do I still need to endorse the deposited checks?
Yes, electronically deposited checks still require proper endorsements on the back of the check to include:
- John Jones
- FOR MOBILE DEPOSIT (add the date of deposit)
What is the best way to ensure the check image passes the image quality check?
- Taking high-quality photos of your check is the best way to ensure a successful Mobile Deposit upload
- Make sure there is good lighting where you take the photo of your check and make sure your camera lens is clean
- Place the check on a dark surface
- Make sure the check is clearly visible – no other objects interfere, and all 4 corners of the check are evident
- Be sure your camera has a chance to focus on the image- being too close can make the check image blurry
- The signature on the check must not go into the MICR line on the bottom of the check
How do I verify that a check has been accepted?
You will receive an email when your deposit has been either approved or rejected. Please validate the deposit in your account after the email is received.
Can I see images of the check(s) I deposit?
What accounts can I deposit into?
Your credit union checking or savings account only.
- What types of checks are NOT accepted for Mobile Deposit?
The following types of checks or other items shall be considered ineligible items:
- Any check over $5,000
- Checks payable to any person or entity other than the person or entity that owns the account the check is being deposited into
- Checks containing an alteration on the front of the check or item, or which you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, are fraudulent or otherwise not authorized by the owner of the account on which the check is drawn
- Checks payable jointly, unless deposited into an account in the name of all payees.
- Checks previously converted to a substitute check, as defined in Reg. CC.
- Checks drawn on a financial institution located outside the United States.
- Checks that are remotely created checks, as defined in Reg. CC.
- Checks not payable in United States currency.
- Checks dated more than 6 months prior to the date of deposit or ‘Stale Dated”.
- Checks or items prohibited by Credit Union’s current procedures relating to the Services or which are otherwise not acceptable under the terms of your Credit Union account.
- Checks payable to the Credit Union and the member. (ie. Checks from Insurance Companies).
- Checks with any endorsement on the back other than specified in this agreement.
- Checks that have previously been submitted through the Service or through a remote deposit capture service offered at any other financial institution.
- Checks or items drawn on or otherwise issued by the U.S. Treasury Department and US Savings Bonds
- Checks that are prohibited by the Credit Union’s current Membership and Account Agreement with you.
- Checks that are in violation of any federal or state law, rule, or regulation.
- Checks drawn on your own account.
- Check made payable to “Cash.”
- Checks stamped “non-negotiable,” “void,” or any other word or phrase indicating the item is not valid.
- Any traveler’s checks or money orders
- Check that is incomplete or contains incomplete information
Am I notified if a check deposit is rejected?
You will receive notification any time a check cannot be deposited using Mobile Deposit. A deposit may be rejected for many reasons including, but not limited to:
- The check is a duplicate.
- The check or checks exceed the maximum daily deposit amount of $5,000.
- Two images of the same side of the check are submitted instead of one image of the front and one image of the back.
- The check image is out of focus.
- The amount of the deposit you enter does not match the numeric amount in the image of your check.
- The endorsement signature on the back is missing.
What should I do with my check after I deposit it using Mobile Deposit?
You are required to keep your check in a secure location for 14 days. Please validate the deposit has been applied to your account, and then destroy check.